Email writing tips! An Email is more than a simple block of text exchanged between two entities. Every single time you click the Send button, you can elevate yourself professionally or personally.
In today’s digital age, email writing is more than just a skill; it is a necessity. When you effectively utilize this skill, It ensures positive communication. This article helps one stay competent in a world where nearly 400 billion emails are exchanged daily.
What is a Good Email?
A good email must be clear in language, precise in meaning, and relevant in context. Good email writing ensures that the recipient understands the message with absolute clarity.
Pro tip: Discard the ideas and arguments that take the recipient away from the main point of the email.
Write the Best Subject Line
A significant subject line is the foundation of good email writing. The purpose of the subject line is to tell your recipients what your message is about before they open the email. The recipient must get a good clue from the Subject line going further in the Email body.
Be concise yet expressive; give them a reason to open the email. Always keep the subject lines. Short, Relevant, and Informative.
Smartphones also cut-short long subject lines, making it difficult to understand the purpose of the email. Furthermore, Research states that limiting the subject field to 7 words improves engagement.
How to Get Started with an Email?
Email writing that captures attention in the initial lines is bound to be more effective. Avoid using filler words like Literally, Such as, in order, etc.
Always make sure to:
- *Use short words, short sentences & short paragraphs
- *Use active voice as much as possible
- *Use Simple & easy to read font
- *Use Mixed case
- Email body is the heart of email writing. It carries forward the promise made by the subject line.
- State in the first paragraph if the reader needs to respond to the email or not.
- Write clear sentences and directly point to what you wish to convey.
- In email writing, maintain a logical flow, helping the reader to glide through your message seamlessly.
- Remember, good email writing thrives on simplicity and coherence.
- Please avoid using big words when simple words/phrases can deliver the same meaning.
- Do not use attachments when they can as text in the Email body. Add attachments only if necessary.
- Turn the complex parts to elements in bullets or numbered lists.
Ending on a High Note
- Here comes the part where we ensure to leave a lasting impression.
- A good practice in email writing is to end with a call to action, guiding the recipient on the expected next steps.
- Be it a reply, a meeting, or feedback, state clear, and round off with a courteous closing note, leaving a warm imprint through your email writing.
- Activate spell checking and grammar-checking features.
- Include Signatures.
- Keep the Signature entirely in text-based format and not images.
- Focus on the best ways for the Recipient to contact you (Phone, Email, Linkedin, etc.)
Revise Your Email and Hit that Send Button
Revise and Send! Once you click on the Send button, it is gone. Good-bye, dear email. Unless you can click on the “Undo” button in time (you can do it only within a few seconds after sending the email, by the way).
Strategy for Managing Email
- Respond Promptly, Cordially, and Politely even if you can’t take the sender’s request at that time.
- Suggest an alternate solution or resource if you cannot provide help.
- Use Email folders to organize incoming emails
- Employ LIFO – Last in first out, HOO – Handle only once to save time while Reading and Responding to emails.
Email Writing Do’s and Don’ts
- Tailor your email to suit the Recipient.
- Be respectful:
- Maintain a respectful tone throughout your email writing
- Before hitting send, always proofread your email.
- Overwhelm: Avoid overwhelming the reader with too much information.
- Use jargon: In email writing, steer clear of jargon unless necessary.
- Ignore feedback: Be open to receiving and acting on feedback to improve your email writing.
With innumerable functions of email writing across domains (networking, job search, internal workings, updates, deliverables, etc.), internally and externally, it would only make sense for anyone to master this skillset. The email writing tips offered in the articles can help full time employees and freelancers too!
Talking about freelancing, are you looking forward to starting a gig-based career? Awign offers diverse and rewarding work opportunities that cater to a wide range of skills and preferences. By focusing on safety, legitimacy, and diversity of opportunities, the platform stands out as a reliable space for gig work in India.
Email writing is an art that can be mastered with conscious effort and complying with the essential guidelines as discussed. Remember, the goal of email writing is to convey your message clearly and effectively, fostering healthy and productive communication.
So, the next time you sit down for email writing, keep these tips in mind to craft emails that not only convey messages but also build positive relations with the recipients. Even if a tiny response, the strategy of finishing every email conversation makes you look responsible and good at your game.
Register with Awign and experience the ultimate freedom and comfort of working from anywhere, anytime like never before!